Recognition foreign divorce decree in Colorado

Me and my ex got divorced in Belgium, after getting married in Colorado 2 years
We would like to have this divorce decree recognized in Colorado.
What are the necessary steps to take and forms to fill out?

Thank you

Asked on March 28, 2018 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

The Office of the Attorney General in the state of Colorado is the place to start and get help in filing the foreign decree in the Colorado courts.  Wheil there is not treaty that is specific to this issue, foreign divorces are recognized in the US based upon what is called "comity." I am going to give you a link to the Colorado judicial system and their info pages.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.