If I received info claiming I took a student loan out but it was 2 years after I finished college, how can I dispute this and get my garnished money back?

I have received information stating that I owe a balance of nearly $20K in student loans taken out 6 years ago. I went to college but it was 2 years prior (8 years ago) and all student financial fees are paid for with a statement showing all balances are paid. I have been getting harassing phone calls about a supposed debt I owe for student loans, they have garnished wages and even taken my federal income tax return. After having the loan promissory note and information sent to me, it became even more obvious that these loans do not belong to me. My signature is not on the loan paperwork there is an electronic signature but not a physical one. The amounts are very strange of the 4 loans taken and while they have my address correct of where I lived at the time that the loans were taken out, there is no school listed and I went to college in a different state than I lived in the time the “student loans” where taken out. Where can I go from here? What is my next step?

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.