What are my rights if the wrong medical test was oredered for me?

Recently, I went in to see my doctor, and the PA ordered a CT scan of my head for chronic dizziness. I am allergic to iodine but she ordered the scan with contrast. The tech at the hospital saw the order and that my allergy was listed on my medical records, so did not give me the contrast dye. I contacted the doctor’s office and they investigated and found that this had indeed happened. I am just very thankful the tech saw the mistake. However, I would like to know if I can somehow not pay for that visit? I am unemplyed with no insurance, and the amount is over $200 for that visit. I also received an apology letter from the office, and I have a copy of that as well. It admits they made a mistake. Thank you, Susan

Asked on January 24, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Washington


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Was your visit for the CT scan wasted?  Did they complete a scan without contrast or did they cancel the entire test?

If they cancelled the entire test, then your doctor's office is technically responsible for the cost of the CT visit.  However, it will cost you much more than $200 to take any kind of legal action.  I suggest you call the CT center, explain what happened, and ask them to remove the bill entirely.  If they will not remove the bill entirely, ask for the Medicare rate.  That rate will be much less than the usual billed rate.  Insurance never pays the billed rate, & you should not pay it either, especially if you received no benefit from the visit.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.