What to do if I recently a friend fell on hard times so I offered to let her stay with me until she got back on her feet?

She was to stay for no more than a few months tops. I rent my house and according to the lease after 90 days anyone still living here would have to be put on the lease which I do not want to do. Anyway it is now approaching the 90 day mark and my houseguest has no interest in leaving. She has never paid for anything. How can I get her out?

Asked on January 25, 2013 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you want your house guest to leave then you need to serve her with with a thirty (30) day notice of termination of he rlease. If she fails to vacate within the thirty (30) day time period then you need to file an eviction action against her in the county court house where the property is located.

If matters come to the point of having to file a lawsuit, you should consult with a landlord tenant attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.