What to do about receiving stolen property from a stranger?

My husband is being charged with receiving stolen property. We sold a vehicle for $1000 and a car trailor. Neither one of us knew the person we did this deal with. The person signed a receipt with her real name. We had the trailor weighed and was going the next day to get a plate, the BMV was closed so we had to wait. The worst part of it all is the person who we did this transaction with is the one who sent the cops to my house. Lastly, why doesn’t she have any charges for selling the stolen trailor to me? She even told the cops that she met us when she came to get the car and pay us for it.

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Criminal Law, Ohio


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Based upon these circumstances, it may be difficult for the prosecutors to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that your husband received and concealed stolen property based upon his intent. A person has to know that the property in question was indeed stolen, and that they had an intent to conceal or possess the stolen property. This sounds more like a business transaction of second hand property that no one knew was stolen. I would advise your husband to consult a criminal defense attorney in your area immediately to challenge these charges.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.