What to do if someone is claiming I owe them $12K for injuries suffered in an auto accident 5 months ago?

This is news to me as I have never been in a auto accident, and certainly was not involved in this one. I received a warrant in debt; I contacted my insurance company but they show no claims filed. What is my next step?

Asked on August 26, 2013 under Accident Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You did the right thing by contacting your insurance company but what you need to do is to follow up with them about the matter.  They may try and say that they are disclaiming coverage under your policy  - which would have covered you should you have been in an accident - but you are entitled to at least a defense even at this late date.  If you were sued and not properly served they can vacate - open up - the default and get the matter dismissed if the facts warrant it.  Keep on them.  Send a certified letter regarding this claim.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.