What to do if a real estate company concealed documents on our home purchase?

I recently bought a house. I was told by the real estate company selling the house (it was a corporate relocation) they had no documentation of any issues during disclosure. We had the home inspected during the summer and found no major issues either. The first big rain that came we found that there was flooding in the basement. When my wife was unpacking things she found an inspection report commissioned by thie real estate company a year ago that details flooding and moisture issues in the basement. What recourse do we have to get these problems fixed?

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It really depends here.  You may have an issue with misrepresentation or fraud but the "problem" is that you also had an inspection and your inspector found nothing.  That may be where you need to look toward and you need help to know if the issue "survives closing" as they say, meaning that once you close issues not addressed are forever gone.  But fraud and misrepresnetation are statutory causes of action and have their own statute f limitations.  Please seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.