How to get my name removed from a mortgage and deed?

I recently purchased a home with my then fiance; both of our are names are on the mortgage and the deed. He has decided that he does not want to be with me.anymore (we have a 1 year old daughter as well). I cannot keep the house on my own so I would like to get my name off everything and let him keep the house. Is that possible? He is willing to keep the house on his own.

Asked on July 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation. You can indeed file a new deed removing your name but I would not advise it unless and until he refinances the mortgage in to his name alone.  Otherwise you are still liable but have no equity.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.