Re marriage

I am already married i an other country , can i re marriage in USA ?

Asked on April 6, 2016 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Under U.S. law, a marriage that was performed in another country is still a legally recognized marriage here. Therefore, in order for you to enter into a valid second marriage, our first marriage must be ended through divorce (or annulment if applicable). Otherwise, if you enter in a second marriage while still having a spouse abroad, you will be committing the crime of bigamy. Additionally, your second "marriage" will be consdiered to be null and void.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.