Does my signinga waiver regardingthe waiting period regarding final distribution of an estate, also waive my rights to the remaining balance?

I recieved a check with a form to sign that is the “final distribution” and request to waive 60-Day waiting period for final distribution to become final. A prior letter stated that money is being held back pending unknown expenses and will be split between us and another party if any remains.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The document that you received from either the attorney handling the Estate or its representative simply allows you to receive the money or other assets that you are entitled to sooner than the 60 day statutory time period for the distribution of the assets that you are entitled to as a benficiary under the Estate that is presumably being probated.

Signing the proposed waiver has no effect upon what other monies or assets that you might be entitled to from the Estate after the initial distribution is made. You should contact the Estate's attorney about any other questions that you may have on the document sent you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.