What can happen if the radar testing date on my ticket is wrong?

I was clocked by a State Trooper who said that I was clocked at 55 mph in a 45 mph zone. On the ticket it says,

Asked on April 15, 2017 under General Practice, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You *may* be able to get the ticket thrown out on that basis: it depends on the prosecutor's and/or judge's (since the judge can overrule the prosecutor) appetite for addressing the issue: having to see what happened, such as if this is a mere typo (which can be corrected) or is symptomatic of a larger issue in the device's reliability and/or documentation; having to address or correct the  problem and likely have another court date, with possibly having to bring in the technician to testify, etc. That is, it creates a larger headache for the court than they usually want to deal with for a traffic ticket, and I have seen the court dismiss for similar issues; but it does not mandate or require dismissal, and I have seen the court refuse to dismiss and instead adjourn the case to a future date, to give them time to fix the problem. It is certainly a good thing to bring up to the prosecutor's attention on the trial date, and there is a reasonable chance the court will dismiss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.