Quitclaim or Gift Deed?

We were recently given a cabin to be held jointly with 7 other relatives. We do
not want to own or have any part of this property. How do we quitclaim or deed
it to the other joint tenants?

Asked on May 30, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You and the parties to whom you are going to quitclaim your interest in the property appear before a notary.  The quitclaim deed is signed in the presence of a notary.  The quitclaim deed releases your entire right, title, and interest in the property.  It must be signed in the presence of a notary.  After being signed in the presence of a notary, the quitclaim deed must be recorded (filed with the County Recorder's office).  The quitclaim deed becomes effective upon being recorded.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.