Quit claim so ex-husband can refinance my house in his name

I was advised by the mortgage person my ex-husband is working with to try a quit claim so he can refinance house in his name and if it doesn’t go through that I can reverse the quit claim. My research shows it’s not that easy to reverse.

Asked on May 26, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot reverse it: if you quitclaim to your ex-husband, you give him the property and you give up ALL rights and interest you have in or to it. Since it will be his and since you will have no rights to it, you cannot undo the transaction or reverse the quitclaim. Your ex-husband could give the property back to you, but you would not be able to make him do that; you'd have to trust that he would.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.