question regarding guardianship

My husband and I have a will set up, but would like to change the guardians set up to take care of our 11 children if anything happens to us. Do we have to redo our entire will, or is there a way to make that change easily?

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Estate Planning, Texas


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can prepare a codicil to your will which is a document to make simple changes.  A Codicil amends or supplements your existing Last Will and Testament. The advantage to using a Codicil to change your Will is that it allows you to make minor changes to your Will while still keeping your original Will in full force and effect, except for the changes expressly stated in your Codicil.  Be sure to discuss with an estate attorney in your area what the rules are in Texas for the signing and witnessing of a codicil to make sure you are in compliance with the laws of your state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.