When does the HPPA law apply?

I had to take a random drug test for work. When I went to take the test I asked the woman testing me if she needed to see my medication, or did I have to provide a list. She said no the person in the LAB would contact me. So to my surprise my manager came and told me that I tested positive for Amphetamines. I said I know I have a script for that. He then asked to see proof I showed him the pill bottle. He then took the bottle and said he was going to photo copy it. He took it upstairs and he returned a few min. later with my bottle. I felt so violated. Is there anything I do?

Asked on July 27, 2012 under Malpractice Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

HIPPA does not apply to an emplyee employer drug testing situation in that the whole purpose of the drug testing is to make sure from the emplyer's perspective that an employee is not in violation of the "no drug" policy of a given company.

HIPPA applies when one's treating physician or assistants in the treatment of a person disclose medical information to a third party who is not in the medical field without the patient's express written permission.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.