Question about Non-US resident obtaining EIN

Is it legal for non-US resident to obtain EIN by forming Nevada LLC for the sole purpose of applying to Demandstudios or similar online-based companies who require EIN? They offer writing opportunities that I can handle very well, I just need the EIN and I’m willing to pay taxes because they will send W9 form to IRS by end of tax year.

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Business Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Probably not due to the Patriot Act.  You need to meet with a busienss lawyer in the state of California to determine what you can obtain.  Try and check his or her disciplinary record at the under attorney search.


Also, you can also contact the IRS's customer service number and get some information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.