putting my home in Virginia in trust for my daughter

Can I put my home in trust to an heir in the state of Virginia through legal
zoom or do I need an attorney?

Asked on January 1, 2018 under Estate Planning, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your home is probably your biggest, most valuable asset: do you really want to set up something affecting its ownership and control without the help of an expert? If you had a broken leg, would you go to the hospital, or would you "Google" "how to set a broken leg" and do it yourself? Legally, you are allowed to do this without a lawyer's help--you can set up a trust without an attorney. It is, however, very, very unwise, and the use of an attorney for something so important is highly recommended.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.