If I purchased a house with a medical settlement that I got, is my husband still

entitled to half the house?

Asked on October 10, 2018 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

So I am assuming you mean a porsonal injury settlement that you received?  Is that correct?  They are not considered marital assets.  However, if you purchased a home with the proceeds and put his name on the home or in any other way "converted it" to a marital asset, then yes, he could be entitled.  You would likely be entitled to money off the top equal to the amount of the proceeds.  It is kind of complicated and needs more information here.  Seek consultation with all your assets and info.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.