What recourse do i have against the former owner if they lied on the disclosure statement?

I purchased a home along a river and it has flooded 2 years in a row now. The previous owner filled out disclosures and said it has never flooded. However, I just received proof from neighbor in pictures of the house being flooded while owned by the seller.

Asked on February 15, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

You may be able to sue, but try filing the suit NOW, before more time goes by. A failure to disclose a known material (important) condition in a home sale is fraud; fraud would provide a basis to seek compensation (such as the cost to do whatever anti-floor work needs to be done). But the statute of limitations, or time to file a lawsuit, for fraud is only 2 years, which may have passed, based on what you write (we can't tell the exact timeine from your question). However, if it reasonably took you some time to discover the fraud (i.e. no chance to know about it right away), you may be able, if necessary, to extend the statute of limitations to 2 years from when you did, or reasonably were first able to, discover the flooding and deceit, but you still don't want to wait any longer than necessary. Consult with an attorney right after the weekend.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.