Who can petition for a paternity test if the mother and father don’t want to?

My wife’s ex-boyfriend had a child with her when she was 14. Nothing happened to him when her mother pressed charges years ago. He ended up getting custody somehow and now is with another girl that was under aged when she gave birth to her first child from him. The problem is that there is no way for us too prove that it is his kid because his girlfriend said she didn’t know who the father was at birth. Is there a way that we (my wife and I) can petition for a paternity test for his child with his new girlfriend?

Asked on March 23, 2011 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Let me understand here what it is you want to do here.  You want to petition the courts to allow you to demand that a paternity test be taken of the child that your wife's ex had with the other woman?  No, I highly doubt that the courts will allow you to demand such a thing.  You do not have what is known as "standing" to bring such a request before the courts for consideration.  My guess is that you want to do this in order to some how now bolster the case against him brought by your Mother in Law years ago.  Why don;t you consult with an attorney in the area about what kind of influence you can have here in helping bring this guy to some form of justice by having the prosecutors look in to the allegation that he is a persistent child molester.  Really, let's call it what it is.  Get clout here. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.