If my ex-husband, his brother and their father built a gorgeous cabin many years ago but it is in his name only, am I entitled to any part of tit in terms of money?

My ex told me his dad put the cabin in his name and that his brother was mad over that. The cabin was paid for in cash by my ex’s father; they built it themselves.

Asked on April 14, 2017 under Family Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if the cabin is in your ex-husband's name, it is an asset of his--it could have been included among the assets you received a share of in your divorce. However, if your divorce is already final and you have received your share of the assets (or at least there is a judgment, decree or settlement agreement setting forth what assets you will receive), you cannot go back and ask for a share of other property unless you can show that your ex-husband actively concealed or hid his ownership of the cabin; in that case, if he committed fraud on the court and/or on you by hiding the asset, you can ask the court to reopen the asset distribution for this. But if you knew of the cabin but just forgot it or did not address it, so he did not hide anything, if the divorce is final, you cannot look to add this in--when a divorce is finalized, it is finalized as to all assets the parties did or should have known about and brought up during  the divorce.
If the divorce is still pending, you can include the cabin.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.