What to do if property stolen from siblings over10 years agovia forged documents?

My grandfather’s brother took land from his siblings over 10 years ago. The heirs of the siblings just learned the signature on the documents “quick deed” forms were forged. Can the sibling’s heirs reclaim their land?

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If land was improperly transferred through forged documents where signatures presumed to be on the "quit claim" are not those of the grantor then the purported transfer is void. Meaning, having no legal effect if you can prove that the signature of the grantor on the quit claim is forged.

In order to prove the improper transfer, you should immediatley consult with an experienced real estate attorney about what you have discovered. He or she will have to review the quit claim deed and contact the notary public that supposedly notarized the signature on the deed. Another consideration is to speak with the person whose signature on the document supposedly is not his or hers.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.