hat to do about property to be left at a house that I am buying?

I am buying a home and the seller wants to store her ex-boyfriends property there until he comes and picks it up. She has signed a statement saying that if it is not picked up by a certain date it becomes mine, I don’t want the property, just want to make sure it gets removed from the garage, which I can’t use until it is. Will this work legally, or can she claim she wants nothing to do with it after closing and what about he ex, will he be able to make a claim, and can I just get rid of the stuff after the date without worrying about any claims by the ex?

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to deal with property left behind at the hpuse that you are buying is to have an addednum signed by the seller stating that if the property is not picked up by a certain date that you as the new buyer can dispose of it any way you desire.

It is best that there is no reference that the property is the former boyfriend's of the seller of the property. The addendum should state that the seller has the right to designate that you can dispose of the personal proeprty after a certain date.

Ideally the addedndum should state that there should be no personal property left behind at the property after close of escrow.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.