If we have a truck that is in both of our names and my husband is keeping it, can I

ask for 1/2 the money that I paid or 1/2 of what the truck is worth?

Asked on October 26, 2017 under Family Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

So if the asset is marital property and one of the parties wants to keep it you can give the outher party a "credit" in any way that you agree upon.  Generally the current value of the car is assessed and the other party gets that as a credit wither against another asset they take or - if you decide - in cash.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.