If I signed a promissory note for money to help me get started in a retail business to purchase inventory but am in default now and was served papers, what kind of attorney do I need?

Asked on March 20, 2017 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You need a litigator (an attorney who handles lawsuits; as opposed to a "transactional attorney," who is one who primarily works on deals or draws up legal documents, like contracts), and ideally, one who handles business disputes and breach of contract cases (a promissory note is a contract).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.