What is the procedure for taking my name off of a deed?

My name on my son’s deed. He has a wife now so I want to take my name off. No

money is involved. How do I do this?

Asked on May 22, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

A quitclaim deed can accomplish this. However, while you can find a form online for doing a quitclaim deed yourself, the relatively low cost to prepare a deed through an attorney makes it a better choice since there is the risk of mistakes with a self-prepared deed.  

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

A quitclaim deed will relinquish your entire right, title, and interest in the property to your son. The quitclaim deed must be signed in the presence of a notary. The quitclaim deed becomes effective upon being recorded (filed with the County Recorder's office).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.