If a parolee lives with me but isn’t on the apartment title, can a probation officer search my home?

If they conduct a home visit, are they allow to search through my things even though we don’t share a room? Also, can they force me to remove a lock to my room mainly have it to keep people from going into it.

Asked on June 8, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have a parolee living with you, under the laws of all states in this country there can be a search of the unit with or without your consent into every aspect and location of your living unit. As a result, the lock to your room can be physically cut to have access to it by law enforcement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.