What to do about a unfair split of an estate expenses?

My mother’s Will gave the house to her brothers and the contents of the house to her daughters. At the Will registration, the inheritance tax for the brothers was 15k. The estate paid for this but the estate was money that was going to the daughters. The house deed was completed 5 months later. Within the time of the Will registration to the present date the daughters have been paying all utilities and bills associated with the house. The brothers have not paid anything. Do the daughters have legal right to reimbursement of funds or can the daughters seek the ownership of the house?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

What I do not understand is why were the daughters paying the utilities and other bills associated with the home they did not receive unless they were residing in it? If they were residing in it, then they should pay the utility and other normal charges that a tenant would pay to live in a rental?

If the daughters were living in the house rent free and only paying the untilties and other charges, the seemingly got a good deal.

If the daughters were not living in the home, thet should be entitled to some reimbursement for the expenses they incurred as to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.