How to find out about a 6 year old probate case?

We can obtain no information from either the executor or the family estate attorney, neither has responded to certified mail. What can be done to find out the status of this case?

Asked on July 2, 2012 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the probate was filed in a county court or probate court, then the records should be available for public inspection.  You will just need to go to the county where the probate is pending and request to view the court's file.  The activity of the probate will be documented in this file.  You can request copies of any documents you would like to view later for a fee.  Many clerks will charge a dollar per page.  Clerks offices vary in Texas, but more and more are offering some online access to records.  So this may be a starting point for you in reviewing the history of the probate.  If you still need more information than what is available through the public record, you may want to hire a probate attorney to help you send a demand letter for access to records that you would usually have a right to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.