If my stepdaughter is the executor of my late wife’s estate and she has given her boyfriend my wife’s cellphone and may be paying for it from the estate, is that legal?

What can/should I do about it?

Asked on May 3, 2017 under Estate Planning, Vermont


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is legal only if doing so is in the estate's interest: e.g. if he is doing something useful for the estate (e.g. is he handy? is he fixing a house up? or providing any other service) and giving him the phone helps him do that or is part of what he's being paid for the service. Otherwise, if it's only for his or her benefit, it is illegal: an executor is bound by law (e.g. by the concept of "fiduciary duty") to act in the best interest of the estate, not for her own benefit or the benefit of her significant other. You could bring a legal action in chancery court about this, requiring her, as executor, to "account" for her actions, which suit could result in her having to repay the phone costs and value to the estate, or her being removed as executor. Of course, a lawsuit is stressful and can be expensive: before following this course of action, make sure it is in your (e.g. your emotional) and the estate's (e.g. financially) best interest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.