How to best ensure that my rights has a beneficiary are properly represented during probate?

I am the primary beneficiary in my father’s Will. My uncle is the executor of the estate. There is a home to be sold, life insurance policies and some general property outlined in the Will. Everything is in IN. Would you advise me to seek personal legal representation in this matter or is the law office that my uncle has handling the estate sufficient to ensure that things are legally and correctly resolved?

Asked on August 23, 2011 North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  While I hope that the legal counsel assisting your uncle is on the up and up, I do have to say that the attorneys representing the interests of the estate and your uncle as the fiduciary and not the interests of the beneficiaries.  The law allows for an accounting and checks and balances as well as safeguards for you as the beneficiary.  But it ca never hurt to have an attorney review the matter on your behalf.  Just a letter on your behalf to let them know that you have someone watching your back and that you wish to have him or her be kept apprised of the goings on.  This way you have someone to go to "in case" as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.