Private Nuisance

A neighbor has installed a basketball court in there back yard and play at all times of the day night. I hear the screaming and thumping of the ball all day long and night. They play until 10 pm or later and it causes a major disruption to my family. We are unable to enjoy our home, have a nice dinner or a quite evening without the load noise of basketball outside our home. Our homes are close together and the basketball court is about 20 to 30 ft from my back door. It is making it hard for me to get to work on time since they are out so late and I work early mornings. Do I have cause to bring a lawsuit against them to change the times they play basketball?

Asked on March 25, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your neighbor for nuisance.  Nuisance is an unreasonable interference with the use and enjoyment of your property.
Damages (monetary compensation) would be an inadequate remedy in your lawsuit because of multiplicity of lawsuits due to the continuing nature of the particular nuisance.  Damages are also inadequate because land is unique.
Therefore, the remedy to pursue in your lawsuit for nuisance would be an injunction to stop or limit the basketball playing.
 Initially, you would seek a temporary restraining order to stop the basketball playing until there is a preliminary hearing where the judge would decide whether to issue a preliminary injunction.  That preliminary injunction would be in effect until trial at which time the judge would decide whether to issue a permanent injunction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.