privacy invasion

I believe that my rights to privacy have been abused. How can I put a stop to it?

Asked on July 4, 2009 under Criminal Law, Nevada


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You would have to give some details before I could give an answer.  To start:  how are your rights being invaded;  by whom are they being invaded;  and how are they being invaded?

Basically, the law provides everyone with some basic rights to privacy.  There are four main judicially created lawsuits for invasion of privacy -- appropriation, false light, intrusion, and disclosure, but there are other state laws as well.  Additionally there are also numerous privacy related statutes under federal law. 

Without more facts I would just be listing examples of situations the may be applicable to your case or have nothing at all to do with your situation.  Instead of just taking up space here and wasting your time, if you could resubmit your questions with more facts of your case, that would be helpful.

Thank you.

M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Although I am not admitted to practice law in the State of Nevada, here are my initial impressions.  First, conduct which "invades" someone's privacy may constitute a crime, such as harassment or stalking, depending on the specific conduct at issue, which you do not specify.  Your first step with respect to putting "a stop to it" is to document the conduct.  If there are voicemails, emails, letters, etc., keep recordings and/or copies of them.  If the person is breaking into your home, or doing something like that, install video cameras.  The bottom line is, prior to "putting a stop to it" you need to obtain proof of the specific behavior.  Once you have proof, you should contact an attorney, who can advise you of the appropriate steps.  Depending on who is doing it and exactly what they are doing, you may have either civil or criminal remedies, such as a filing a lawsuit, or contact the police, and/or obtaining a protective order.  Nevertheless, the attorney that you consult with will be in the best position to advise you after reviewing the proof that you have obtained.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.