price of a divorce and resumi g my maiden name

can I resume my maiden name before getting a divorce? am I responsible for paying for all of the divorce process?

Asked on March 29, 2018 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

1) Yes, you may change your name and resume your maiden name. Any adult may change her name whenever she wants. Contact the family court for instructions and forms.
2) If you file for divorce, you will have to pay the filing fees: the one who files bears this cost. You will have to pay for your own lawyer, if you get one. You do not have to pay for your spouse's attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.