Can I sue my previous employer if it lied about my wage and hours?

I am a Class A holder. I worked for a reputable company, we’ll call this company

Asked on June 6, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Absent a union agreement or employment contract to the contrary, a mere verbal promise without consideration regarding wages/hours is not legally enforceable. Also, your treatment must not have constituted some form of legally actionable discrimination. The fact is that most employment is "at  will", which means that a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, all employment is "employment at will" unless you have a written employment contract for a definite term (e.g. a one-year contract)--which contract is still in force--to the contrary. That means that if you don't have a contract, an employer may change your hours or pay from what was promised at will--in other words, your employer's non-contractual promises (promises  not contained in a written contract) are not enforceable, and you therefore cannot sue them for violating their non-enforceable promises.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.