Previous employer is refusing to pay commision

I worked at Boost Mobile until the end of August. I earned a commission check for that month. Commission is paid a month later after the 15th of the month. Today, 9/21/17, would be the day of my commission payout. However, I have yet to receive the payment. I was not able to reach the owner nor have I been able to reach the HR employee. They will not answer my phone calls. What course of action would I need to take to receive funds that I have earned?

Asked on September 21, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your previous employer for breach of contract / account stated.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the amount you are owed.
Depending on the amount of your damages, you may be able to file your lawsuit in small claims court.  Upon prevailing in the case, you can also recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.