How to execute a POA out of state?

My brother and I are agents for my parents power of attorney. I live out of state; he lives in state and is taking care of my parents. I have drawn up a durable power of attorney. Now I just need to sign it and send it to him so my parents can sign them and have them notarized. Should I have my date and signature notarize before I send the documents to him? If there are different dates will that be OK?

Asked on June 13, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Different dates are okay as long as your parents are notarizing that they are giving power of attorney to you and your brother. The only issues you need to be aware of is you need to make sure the power of attorney meets the state requirements in the state in which your parents live so that it is enforceable and legally binding.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.