Power of attorney , mom has had a stroke and is completely paralyzed, how does family get a POA without her signature?

Mom cannot sign the POA due to complete paralysis from a stroke. What needs to be done to assign the POA

Asked on December 18, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  You can not, not, obtain a Power of Attorney from Mom.  She can not sign same, as you have indicated.  So you need to go to Court to be appointed as her guardian and conservator of her funds.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.