What to do about a possession of marijuana charge and a medical marijuana card that I’m awaiting?

I got busted in Michigan yesterday driving with 7 grams of marijuana and 5

pre-rolled joints. The kicker?

Yesterday, I was driving and got caught with 7 grams of marijuana and 5 pre-rolled joints. The kicker – I have my medical marijuana papers but no physical card yet. I sent in my paperwork with doctor notes and payment roughly 4-5 weeks ago so the physical card should be here any day. How screwed am I or what do you think/should take place? My court date is in 2 weeks. I do not think I need a lawyer as I have my medical marijuana papers and the amount was very minuscule but still I am not too sure.

Asked on July 3, 2016 under Criminal Law, Michigan


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You still need to arrange to have an attorney assist you.  You have a potential defense, but a prosecutor could still reject your defense if it is not presented properly.  If you talk to the prosecutor, then any of the statements that you make to the prosecutor while you are trying to make your case, could be used against you.  If you have an attorney, they can argue your case without any of the statements that you make being used against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.