Can you lose your license in a usage of marijuana charge?

I was given a ticket for possession of marijuana. I appeared in court and stood mute. After that I had a hearing where I talked to a prosecutor and he told me I could get charges dropped to a usage and it would cost me $650 or go on probation for a year and pay $1450. I cannot afford the probation even if it does take a charge off my record. My question is will I lose my license for usage of marijuana in the state of Michigan? 

Asked on July 19, 2010 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Did you have an attorney?  Why was none appointed on your behalf for the proceeding?  And probation does not "take the charge off your record."  The arrest is there until it is expunged (erased) or sealed by a Judge after the appropriate paperwork is filed and approved by a Judge. Possession for any amount is a misdemeanor punishable by one year in prison and/or $2,000 fine.  If, however, it is in or around a park then it could be a felony instead and punishable by 2 years in prison and/or a $2,000 fine.  I don't know about a suspended license but if you are in prison you won't be needing it anyway.  I would strongly suggest that you have an attorney appointed on your behalf as these charges can be reduced to your benefit.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.