Police Lab Testing Drugs

My question is a pretty simple one. How long after cops seize or acquire narcotics should they submit them to their lab to be tested to make sure they are narcotics?

Asked on May 30, 2009 under Criminal Law, Maryland


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As far as I know there is no hard-and-fast rule on this;  most narcotics aren't really perishable, so it isn't a question of test reliability.

What's more important, really, is the record keeping, what's called a chain of custody.  If I were an attorney, and evidence of this sort took an unusually long period of time getting to the lab, I'd take a close look at the evidence lot for it -- which would have to be supplied in discovery, to make sure there weren't any questionable entries.  That evidence log has to show who had control of the evidence, with dates, times and signatures for each change, because without that, there's no proof that the substance seized from the defendant is the same that was tested by the lab.

If you think something like this might be an issue in your case, you need a good lawyer protecting your rights.  One place to look for an attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.