If I got a speeding ticket but the officer provided the wrong information for the place of occurrence, is it reasonable for me to plead not guilty and schedule a hearing?

I was going over the posted limit.

Asked on April 3, 2018 under General Practice, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

This will not help you, if the officer is available to show up and testify about the stop: the court will consider this a harmless error, like a typo or  misspelling a name, and will not dismiss the case if the officer is willing and available to confirm in court the facts of the stop. In my experience, you are better off speaking to the prosecutor and trying to negotiatea favorable plea than trying to defend yourself at a hearing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.