What canI do if my plastic surgeon claimed to beboard cert. but wasn’t and now I’m having complications?

I had breast augmentation 06/09 and now find out the doctor was not certified as he represented. I am having complications and he is pointing the blame on me and is not willing to even discuss that it may have been his doing. He sent me a letter and said all our future correspondence should be through mail and that anything I say may be used against me. Is there anything that I can do?

Asked on September 14, 2010 under Malpractice Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

1) If the surgeon "induced" you to have surgery because of his alleged qualifications--i.e. if that's why you had the procedure--and he lied, he may have committed fraud. You may be able to sue him for the cost of the surgery and/or report him to licensing authorities or even law enforcment.

2) If you are having complications and they were due to malpractice--negligence, incompetence, etc.--you could sue for your damages, such as pain and suffering or the cost to correct them. You could also complain to licensing authorities.

You should speak with a medical malpractice attorney. You may have claims worth pursuing. Many attorneys will provide a free initial consultation and also take cases like this on contingency. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.