How do I place a lien ona house?

As per our divorce settlement, I am due half the profit from the sale of the house. My ex-husband lives there since the divorce and had 1 year to sell it but hasn’t done so yet. I would like to know if I can place a lien on the property without hiring a lawyer, since I have a legal document awarding me half. I’d like to ensure I get my share at the time of transaction.

Asked on December 6, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

That is certainly an interesting approach to the matter and one that I would investigate further but placing a lien on the house generally requires an amount certain and a judgement.  "Half the profit from the sale" is not an amount certain so you will run in to that problem.  So I might speak to an attorney instead about either enforcing the judgement and the sale now as he is in breach of the agreement here or bringing an action for partition (which asks that the house be legally split in two but the result is the sale).  This way it forces him to move on it now rather than later.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.