Whose responsibility are the osts of a leaking pipe?

We recently discovered a leak in the tub. The leak was in the diverter which diverts water from the tub to the shower head. It was a slow leak and was due to a pipe which was cut short according to the plumber. Based on the mold it’s been leaking a while and it was discovered by a guest almost 2 weeks ago. The association alerted us of the incident and remediated it the same day and removed the mold, replaced the base boards, drywall and repainted. Between the dehumidifiers, the plumber and drywall/base boards it cost about $2400. Does the association pay for all but paint?

Asked on June 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The first thing that needs to be ascertained with respect to the leak that you are writing about is whether the leak per the HOA rules, regulations and recorded covenants, conditions and restrictions is in a common area or not.

If the leak is in a common area, then the HOA should pay for the repairs. If not, then you should make a claim to your presumed homeowner's policy for payment of the repairs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.