What to do about an excessive pet fee?

My lease states that pets are allowed if a “pet agreement” is signed by the tenant; it says nothing else. When I told my landlord that I would be getting a cat, he told me that he would be raising my $2400/month rent by $200 per month for a “pet fee”. Is this legal? I read somewhere that if a fee is excessive it may be illegal. I told my landlord even I would be willing to pay a $200/month deposit, but not a non-refundable $200 increase. Is there anything that I can do?

Asked on September 17, 2010 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You are lucky to be in California for this one.  It is my understanding that California no longer distinguishes between what a deposit is used for.  In other words, California recognizes only a unitary security deposit. This is defined as any advance payment to the landlord to be used to remedy defaults in rent payments, repair of damage to the premises exclusive of normal wear and tear, cleaning upon vacation by the tenant, or to restore damage to specified landlord personal property in the custody of the tenant where the rental agreement so provides. Landlords may not charge any non-refundable deposits or "fees" {Civil Code Sec. 1950.5}.  The security deposit may not exceed three months' rent if the premises are rented furnished, two months rent if they are rented unfurnished. An amount equal to an extra one-half months rent if the tenant has a waterbed {Civil Code Sec. 1950.5}.  So read your lease and make sure that this is not "added rent" in any way and let your landlord know that it is not permitted under the law.  Sign no separate "agreement" unless an attorney reads it.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.