Personal vehicle damaged on company propery and they are not responding

I work for a staffing agency that sent me to a job site for the night 3 weeks ago. As I was entering the employee gate, I turned into a parking spot adjacent to the gate and as I was doing so, the gate did not recognize the presence of my car and closed on it, causing paint damage and denting. I reported this to both the present supervisor and security, neither of which filed a formal incident report because they

Asked on March 15, 2017 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue whomever was in control of the gate for the damage to your car, whether that is the business at that site, the landlord (if someone else owns the property and the business just leases it), etc. The damage was, based on what you write, caused by the gate operating defectively; whomever had control over it could potentially be held liable for not maintaining, etc. it properly. You could also potentially sue the gate manufacturer; and any company that had the service contract for it. Only the person or entity controlling the gate, the one who made it, and anyone who serviced/maintained it might be responsible for your costs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.