Permissive Use of Vehicle

My now ex-girlfriend did not have a car or
insurance, so I would allow her to use my
car. She had backed into a pole and caused
1,200 in damages,as stated by an estimate.
I have proof where she said she would cover
the damages, but she has made no effort.
Could I take her to small claims court and
get her to pay?

Asked on March 8, 2017 under Accident Law, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your ex-girlfriend for negligence in small claims court.  Your damages (the amount of monetary compensation you are seeking to recover) would be the cost of repairs to your car.
Upon prevailing in the case, you can recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee.
You can enforce the judgment with a wage garnishment.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can sue her: a driver who drives negligently or carelessly is liable for the damage he or she does to your car. In the law's eyes, it is almost always negligent to hit a stationary object: reasonably careful driver's avoid them. Therefore, you could sue her for her negligence in causing the damage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.