Performance review ..

I work for nonprofit. In the past
performance reviews were done on annual
basis. Now with the change of mgmt as
of January 1, 2016, my old boss who
can vouch for 7 months of the year
review won’t be allowed to sit in on my
review instead my narcissistic jerk of
a new boss will be evaluating me from
January to May of this year. Is that
fair? That’s not a whole year and fear
my new boss will be a jerk. Mind you
I’ve been at this job for 10 years and
now all of the sudden this jerk can
have a say in my salary based on 5
months? He’s never been in mgmt before
here and he’s not easy to talk to
everything isnt his fault. What do i

Asked on June 2, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You really can't do anything about this. The fact is that in an "at will" work relationship, a company can set the conditions of employment much a sit sees fit. This includes how to conduct a performance review. That is unless this action violates the terms of company policy or an employment contract or union agreement. Also, your treatment must not constitute any form of legally actionable discrimination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.