pennsylvania suspension for lapse of insurance coverage

3 month suspension of plates for lapse of insurance in PA – can i purchase another vehicle and put plates on that vehicle for the 3 months?

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Insurance Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I doubt it.  I'm not a Pennsylvania attorney, and the system is different in some details, from one state to the next, but usually a suspension of this sort is a suspension of your privilege to have a vehicle registered in your name.  The practical effect is, right away, a suspension of the plates you have, but it probably also means you can't get any plates until the suspension is up.  I'm sure that the motor vehicle agency has a web site where you can double check this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.